An interesting take on a classic British pudding! What's not to love?
4 large hot cross buns
1 tsp vanilla extract
150ml double cream
50g salted butter
50g caster sugar
3 tbsp marmalade
1 tbsp brown sugar
Icing sugar, to dust
1. Heat the oven to 160 degrees (fan). Place your milk and cream in a pan and gently heat. In a bowl, add your caster sugar and eggs, beat together. Take the pan off the heat and gradually add the warm mixture to the bowl.
2. Halve your hot cross buns and spread the one side with butter. Arrange them in a oven proof dish that will be suitable to fit the hot cross buns and add a thin layer of marmalade on top.
3. Then pour the mixture over the top of the buns and allow the dish to stand for at least 30 minutes at room temp so that each bun has time to fully absorb the mixture. (I recommend adding something suitable on top of the buns to keep them down.)
4. Place the dish in the oven and allow to cook for 45-50 minutes. Bring out of the oven and sprinkle the brown sugar on top and place back into the oven for an additional 5-10 minutes. This will add a lovely crunch to the buns!
5. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before dusting with icing sugar and serving warm!