A delicious take on a vegetarian lasagne!
SWEET POTATO LASAGNE
INGREDIENTS (serves 6)
2 tins chopped tomatoes
6-8 lasagne sheets
2 tbsp soy sauce
100ml red wine
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp chilli powder
400g sweet potato
salt and pepper
1 tbsp thyme
handful, fresh basil
1 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp lemon juice
60g mature cheddar cheese
300ml oat milk
125g cashew nuts
1. To begin, preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Soak 3-4 lasagne sheets for the top layer in boiling water and leave to soak. Ensure they are spread out in the water so they won’t stick.
2. Chop the sweet potato into small cubes and slice the mushrooms. Soak the cashews for 10 minutes in boiling water and set aside.
3. Add the olive oil to a pan, sauté the mushrooms, sweet potato, paprika, chilli powder and minced garlic over medium heat. Stir together.
4. Once everything is mixed together, add the chopped tomatoes, soy sauce, red wine and tomato paste into the pan, Add a lid on the pan and leave to cook for 15 minutes or until the sweet potato has softened.
5. While the sweet potato is cooking, drain the cashew nuts and place in a blender with some salt and pepper, oat milk and the lemon juice. Blitz until smooth and creamy.
6. After 10 minutes, add the thyme and basil to the sweet potato mix. Stir well and bring to boil. Simmer for the remaining 5 minutes. Add seasoning to taste before taking off the heat.
7. To assemble the lasagne, add a layer of sweet potato mix to the bottom of an ovenproof baking dish (32x22cm) and spread out evenly. Add a layer of white sauce on top before adding a single layer of lasagne sheets. Repeat with one more layer before adding the final soaked lasagne sheets to finish. Spread the remaining white sauce on top as well as a layer of grated cheddar cheese to finish.
8. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the lasagne sheets are cooked and the sides of the dish are bubbling. Remove from the oven and top with some pepper and additional fresh basil before serving!
Recipe by @justkatieskitchen 👩🏼🍳